Friday, December 30, 2011

Telling our Parents the News

Shortly after finding out we were expecting we started talking about how we were going to tell our parents. We quickly decided that it would have to be in person. So after looking online and brainstorming with Matt, we decided to give them a picture of us with a positive test (number 3 by that time) and a note from Baby.

We already had plans to go to Conway the weekend of the 22nd because we were going to Oxford for the Arkansas/Ole Miss game. It worked out perfectly to see my parents and his mom and Rob that weekend, so we just had to find a time to see his dad and Susanne. I was still on fall break so Matt took Friday the 21st off so we could run to Ft. Scott to tell his dad Thursday night and then go to Conway on Friday.

We told Steve and Susanne that we were just driving through Ft. Scott Thursday night on our way to Kansas City for the weekend, so they wouldn't be suspicious about us coming up for one night. We told them that we were going to a concert in KC Friday night and then doing some fun touristy things. We said we were going to see Needtobreathe because we knew they wouldn't know that band. Well, just our luck, one of the girls in Susanne's office was "talking" to the lead singer. Susanne said that her friend didn't know the band was in town and was going to be really upset. Susanne started calling people from her office to get her coworker's phone number. Matt and I decided that the jig was up so we pulled out the picture frame to tell them why we really came. Susanne immediately started screaming and Steve said, "I'm guessing it's about a baby, I don't have my glasses on so I can't read it!".



On Friday we made our way to Conway to go to the Arkansas/Ole Miss game. We were leaving from Conway Friday evening with Kaye and Rob to stay in Memphis and then head to Oxford Saturday. After loading our bags into their car, Matt said, "Hold on, we have one more thing". He got the picture frame out of the car and handed it to Kaye. She was speechless, teared up and couldn't stop saying how wonderful it was. Rob was pretty excited too.



On Saturday night my parents got two surprises. We had told them that we were going to get in really late from the game so we would just see them on Sunday. Well little did they know we were going to be in by 9:00 and were coming straight to their house to tell them the news. When we got there they were so excited to see us because we were earlier than expected. I gave my mom the picture frame wrapped up in tissue and told her I got something for them. When she opened it she just started screaming and my dad was smiling from ear to ear.



I think everyone was pretty excited! (And still are!)

3 comments:

  1. That was such a cute idea for the pictures. We are so excited! And I love that you started a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh - I hadn't heard the story on how you told the parents. Neat!! Loved seeing you and Matt last night and Baby D :-)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were and are very excited! We had been at softball games all day and getting Jade China when they called to see if we were home yet. They were on this side of Little Rock, aka CONWAY! It was very special and I can't wait to have a new family picture with the three of them!

    ReplyDelete